STAFF ACCOUNTANT - ENTRY LEVEL
The Staff Accountant, while working in the accounting department, works with all parts of the organization including project management/operations, estimating, equipment/trucking division (if applicable) and the corporate office on a day to day basis to ensure that job responsibilities are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responds to management and operations inquiries regarding financial results, job cost, and any special reporting requests.
- Coordinates with accounting staff to ensure incoming and outgoing payments are posted and distributed in a timely manner.
- Monitors past due accounts receivable and keeps Controller and/or Project Managers aware of old receivables.
- Prepares and executes general ledger and sub-ledger entries (for example, accruals, prepaid expenses, depreciation, etc.)
- Monitors activity on the primary bank’s website and distributes to the relevant parties.
- Prepares reporting and calculations of monthly journal entries
- Performs other accounting related tasks as deemed necessary by himself/herself, or by President, Controller, or Accounting Manager. (For example, identifying and posting corrective journal entries, supporting departmental projects, providing ad hoc reporting, etc)
- Assisting and providing back up support services to the different accounting departments as needed
- Understands that in order to fully perform his/her duties, he/she must be visible to and work with others in the accounting department, others in the office, and occasionally in the field as well.
- Assists corporate IT with accounting software upgrades and testing to ensure seamless transitions and full utilizations.
- Assists with the execution of external audits.
- Assists with budget and forecasting activities.
- Supports administration of the company credit card system.
- Assists with financial statement preparation.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation
- Adheres to strict confidentiality policies due to the nature of the financial data.
- Participates in the monthly accounting close process, paying close attention to timeliness and accuracy of information, including accurate cut-off.
- Provides training and mentoring to new accounting staff as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Knowledge of corporate accounting, including cost accounting, budgeting, and financial statement preparation. Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Proficient in the creation and use of complex excel spreadsheets (pivot tables, logical functions, queries) and in other Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with others between departments and across company lines.
Delivering High Quality Work
Prioritizing and Organizing Work
Working with Financial Information
Work is at the subsidiary company main office, with possible occasional visits to job sites.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to success perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and fingers to type on a keyboard and/or office phone and to sort through business files. They are frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, and hear. They must be able to lift up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities include close vision, midrange vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position which will typically involve 40 hours per week.
It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of the Company not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law, with respect to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and other terms and condition of employment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Nearest Major Market: Roanoke