Entry Level Project Engineer - Civil
Location: Roanoke, VA - Stuart, VA - Raleigh, NC
Branch Civil is searching for a highly-skilled, team-oriented Project Engineer to join our well-established, growing company. This position works closely with the Project Manager and Superintendent to ensure success of the project. The Project Engineer oversees all engineering and technical aspects of the project, with a strong emphasis on organizing and planning, to assure the highest level of accuracy and quality. This position reports directly to the PM and provides support in the areas of project safety, documentation, plans and specifications, construction means and methods, scheduling, budgeting, projections, and project closeout.
- Measuring, reporting and forecasting accurate cost and revenue dollars and quantities
- Fully reviews contract documents, drawings and specifications
- Assists Pre-Construction Services/Project Manager(PM) in defining project budget and cost codes
- Prepares Initial Budget Adjustments for PM review prior to start of work
- Ensures the acquisition of permits, through appropriate channels, as required
- Maintains and updates RFI Log, Change Order Log, and Submittal Log
- Maintains and updates the Materials Book – C25s/Certs/Etc.
- Supports quality control/Ensures approved materials are being used
- Drafts and submits Change Orders per PM approval
- Drafts and submits RFIs per PM approval
- First level approval of subcontractor invoices for PM final approval
- Reviews and submits end of month billings
- Develops and communicates an effective plan in cooperation with the superintendent
- Monitors work to ensure means and methods are followed and effective
- Maintains and updates project schedule for PM review
- Reviews and/or develops material tracking list
- Promotes Branch Civil’s Safety Culture
- Performs pre-punch list walk thru with PM and Superintendent
- Enforces contract close-out timeline and reconciles with Subcontractors
- Reviews cost data for accuracy and assists PM in generation of projection updates
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, construction management, or related field
- Master’s Degree in engineering/Construction and two years of experience in heavy civil VDOT (or DOT)/large site construction
Extensive travel within the Region
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position which will typically involve 40+ hours a week. Due to the nature of the job, the employee must be available on-call early/late hours to deal with delays, bad weather and emergencies at the job site.
It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of the Company not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law, with respect to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and other terms and condition of employment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.