Internship - Undergraduate Research & Development Intern
The role of Undergraduate Research & Development Intern is intended to start in Summer 2024.
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative 3Mers.
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-12 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a Research & Development Intern, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Collaborating with senior researchers on an assigned product/technology development or an application/product engineering project
- Leading and directing assigned project towards advanced technical solutions
- Documenting detailed experimental records in 3M electronic laboratory notebooks that can be used for invention submissions and potentially patent applications
- Analyzing, interpreting, and communicating experimental results
- Collaborating with other R&D functions across 3M that can help advance project. This includes researchers from other groups, analytical chemists, process engineers, etc.
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in science or engineering from an accredited institution
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, polymer science, biomolecular engineering, or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Completed a minimum of Freshman Year (2 semesters) by the start of the internship
- 6-12 months of practical laboratory experience in synthesis of polymers and small molecules, chemical/polymer processing, advanced analytical and materials characterization, vapor coating, nanotechnology, development of sensors, and optical materials
- Hands-on experience in the following areas, additive manufacturing, robotics, mechanical design, and/or hard goods
- Previous relevant intern experience or co-op with company or university
- Use of designed experiments and statistical analysis of experimental results
- Demonstrated scientific and technical acumen, with ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity as it relates to technical problems and experimentation
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Demonstrated leadership activities and building network
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Responsibilities of this position include that corporate policies, procedures and security standards are complied with while performing assigned duties.
Our approach to flexibility is called Work Your Way, which puts employees first and drives well-being in ways that enable 3M’s business and performance goals. You have flexibility in where and when work gets done. It all depends on where and when you can do your best work.
Pay & Benefits Overview: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/careers-us/working-at-3m/benefits/
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.