2024 R&D Summer Intern-Track 1
As the global leader in eye care, Alcon has built a rich history of providing innovative products to customers and patients all over the world. We’re extremely proud of our legacy and the significant way we’ve helped to shape the industry over the last 70 years, but we’re just getting started. Our relentless passion to eliminate unmet medical needs drives our pursuit to further advance eye health worldwide. We’re looking for exceptionally talented, driven people who want to make a difference.
We help people see brilliantly. We care for and delight our customers. We pursue and drive innovation. We care for and inspire our people. We do this through our values and behaviors: We deliver results and our best in all we do. We do the right things in the right way. We create, enhance, and transform. We take a stand and speak up. We succeed together. We unleash the full potential of our people.
If you’d like to help us change the way the world sees, this is your chance to Be Brilliant!
The Alcon R&D team is looking for numerous talented and motivated Interns to join us during a Summer 2024 Internship opportunity at our Johns Creek, GA / Belmont, Goleta or Lake Forest, CA / Fort Worth, TX locations. Alcon interns will have the opportunity to not only gain industry experience and network with other Alcon professionals. They will also have the chance to make a real-world impact by working on meaningful projects that will help patients and customers see brilliantly. Alcon also offers interns personal and professional development, high visibility and coaching and mentoring opportunities.
We are looking to fill Intern positions from the following engineering majors: Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Bioengineering, Optics/Optical Engineering, Opto-Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Vision Science, Optometry, Systems, Aerospace or related major.
As an Alcon Intern, you may be placed into the following teams:
Extraocular Devices (EOD) – Johns Creek, GA
- Accelerating digitalization, including template creation, elimination of paper processes, support for accelerated adoption and integration of current independent software platforms, and connecting instrumentation/equipment with data repositories. Eliminate paper processes and access the tremendous value of integrated digital systems and data analytics. Close communication with stakeholders to understand project requirements, relay compelling change rationales, and deliver results aligned to business need.
Instrumentation – Lake Forest, CA
- Work with UX designer to identify the storyboard, translate the storyboard into application on IOS
- System Architecture, Software programming, Embedded systems, Modeling & Simulation
Visualization – Goleta, CA
- Work with engineers to help develop next generation 3D camera system.
- Depending on candidates’ background, they will be able to work closely with software, firmware, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering team to contribute to different aspects of the product development.
- Software team: Help develop or test software application for either final application used in surgery or internal development software.
- Firmware team: Develop and test control firmware for 3D camera head.
- Electrical Engineering team: Design or test Printed Circuit Board Assembly for 3D camera system.
- Mechanical Engineering team: Design and 3D-print bracket, harness, housing for visualization applications and industrial designs
Intraocular Device (IOD) – Belmont, CA / Fort Worth, TX / John’s Creek, GA
- Implantable devices: Design, test, iterate. Mechanical Design, Modeling, and Simulation work. Documentation, collaboration, project management and statistics. Help build prototypes for testing.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited university or college for at least one semester prior to internship or co-op, and at least one additional semester following internship or co-op.
- Must be pursuing at least a Bachelors level degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Bioengineering, Optics/Optical Engineering, Opto-Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Vision Science, Optometry, Systems, Aerospace or related major.
- Academic performance: Minimum cumulative GPA 2.8/4.0.
- Demonstrated leadership skills (i.e. extracurricular activities or projects).
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship (students on an F1 visa with CPT may be accommodated).
- Ability to commit to a 10-12 week, full time (40 hours per week) summer internship.
Alcon’s Total Rewards programs are designed to align to incentives with business goals, encourage the right values and behaviors, and deliver long-term value. The first layer of our rewards program is compensation. We offer a combination of fixed pay and variable pay, which includes short-term incentives, and long-term incentives for eligible population. Our benefits program provides security for life events through life and disability insurance, supports savings for retirement, promotes good health and well-being and supports associates and their families during times of illness. To learn more about Alcon’s Corporate Social Responsibility including our Total Rewards, click here
$0.00 - $45.00
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.