Entry Level Structural Engineer
Looking for a terrific place to build your career and write your own success story?
Balzer & Associates is searching for a Structural Engineering Technician. This is an incredible opportunity to lead and grow with an extremely successful firm. At Balzer & Associates, we have been delivering design solutions to clients for over 50 years and are looking for the right team members to contribute to our mission of serving the community. Our employees are recognized as the essential pillars to our development and success; therefore, our focus is on taking exceptional care of not only our clients, but of our team.
When you join our team, you are exposed to all aspects of the design process. As a multi-disciplinary firm, our staff has the unique opportunity to interact, learn, and grow in a collaborative environment where knowledge is gained every day. Our diversity of work and disciplines affords our professionals the opportunity to be involved with a wide variety of projects that provide a foundation on which an outstanding career can be built.
Balzer & Associates offers a competitive, robust benefit package to full-time employees consisting of medical, dental and vision insurance; 401k match; PTO & paid holidays; annual bonus program, discretionary profit sharing, educational reimbursement, employee engagement events, financial wellness education, and other valuable benefits.
The Structural Engineering Technician assists the project engineer in application of principles, methods, and techniques of engineering. The incumbent plays a key role in the design, planning, and construction of building projects, helping to assess whether building plans and materials are suitable. They work closely with design teams and architects to ensure the safety of a structure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to perform assigned tasks as part of a broader assignment
- Exercises limited judgment on details of work and in application of standard methods for conventional work
- Works on small projects or portions of larger projects
- Performs basic to moderate design tasks
- Prepares drawings and progresses to the preparation of portions of project documents and editing specifications
- Performs research and investigations
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions and correspondence
- Ability to effectively communicate in small group situations and one-on-one
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and geometry and trigonometry (as established in structural design relationships)
- Intermediate proficiency in discipline specific software such as AutoCad, Revit, RISA and Enercalc
- Proficiency in basic design / engineering concepts
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university required
- Valid Virginia driver’s license is required
- Organization Skills
- Problem Solving
- Self Development
- Sense of Urgency
- Technical Skills
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.