Senior Optical Engineer
Job Title: Senior Specialist, Optical Engineer
Job ID: SAS20232408-105169
Job Location: Herndon VA.
- Design, analyze, modify, test, and evaluate optical communications systems.
- Design, analyze, modify, and test system level components.
- Work closely with customers as an optical communication system subject matter expert.
- Train customers in subject matter expertise
- Select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications.
- Perform simulations and present design reviews to peer engineers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience or a Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience.
- 4+ years of experience using MATLAB for test automation and data reduction.
- 4+ years of experience in photonics systems and components
- 4+ years of experience using optical communication system test equipment.
- 4+ years of experience with lab automation using programs such as LabView, C#, or Python
- A TS//SCI clearance with poly is required for the position.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Digital Lightwave Communications: Physical layer systems, components (EDFA, Modulators, SFPs, Switches, etc.), and modules for optical communication systems
- Photonic Modeling: Ability to model photonic systems using one or more of the following software packages: MATLAB, OptSim, BeamProp, Zemax, HFSS