2024 Summer Intern - GM Lab Test Technician
Sponsorship: GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Work Arrangement :
Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
The Role :
The Technician Intern at General Motors will be responsible for working within the Test Labs and Garages team to ensure First Time Quality and On-Time Delivery of test deliverables, including of test vehicles, sub-systems, components, as well as instrumentation & data systems, depending on the assigned work location. They will work collaboratively with other GM Technicians and Engineers to ensure delivery of test results to support global product development requirements. Responsible for test property inspection, setup of instrumentation and test support equipment, installation and removal of test properties, fixtures, & test equipment and operation of test equipment. The candidate must demonstrate a high level of communication and interpersonal skills to effectively operate within the highly technical and fast paced laboratory environment.
- Test property inspection, fixturing, instrumentation installation & verification, teardown/removal of test equipment and test vehicles.
- Staging, movement, build, teardown, and validation of test vehicles.
- Champion of Safety in all aspects of their work.
- Troubleshoot mechanical and electrical problems with test vehicles and instrumentation.
- Able to collaborate with others within and outside the work group and work effectively in a team environment. Communicate findings with engineering personnel through verbal or written means.
- Maintain awareness of Business Plan Deployment goals and objectives, identify, and suggest relevant opportunities for improvement.
- Maintain records on work performed including data collected or analyzed.
- Develop, implement, and sustain workplace organization practices.
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Pursuit of an Associate's Degree or Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Automotive Technology, Automotive Engineering Technology, or related automotive field
- Must be graduating between August 2024 to May 2027
- Must have valid driver's license
What will give you a competitive edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Familiar with automotive mechanical and electrical systems
- Familiar with instrumentation & data acquisition systems theory, use, programming, and troubleshooting
- Advanced mathematics coursework is a plus
Student Stipend: GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to eligible students selected for the 2024 Student Program.
Pay Transparency: The salary range for this role is $3,500 - $4,900, dependent upon class status and degree.
Benefits: Benefit options are not available for this role.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.