2024 Summer Intern - Engineering Design
Sponsorship: GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week in SE Michigan.
The Role :
As a Design Engineering Intern you are responsible for developing design solutions to meet component requirements and performance standards. This includes problem solving with support of Advanced Development Analysis Software. Multi-functional team communication is required for proper issue resolution. Daily activities require you to understand basic design concepts and problem solving. This means you have the ability to work with minimal direction and make basic decisions based on general practices and procedures. We would also love you to grow skills to be proficient in CAD Tools and understanding basic Standard Modeling Methods and Best Practices.
- Developing an understanding of manufacturability of components and subsystems
- Participates in design reviews and integration work groups
- Documents and maintains materials, mass, and other part specifications within the Math file
- Completes NX Analysis for their subsystem. Applies results and learning to future models
- Coordinates guidance from multiple internal / external customers to meet requirements
- Creates quality math data (models) and executes appropriate engineering changes
- Alignment to the Global Virtual Design Group: Chassis, Body, Interiors, Thermal, Electrical, Engine/Transmission, Data Management, Virtual Engineering, Virtual Build and Visualization
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Product Design, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, or Engineering Technology
- Must be graduating between August 2024 and May 2027
- Must have experience with CAD packages
What will give you a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Knowledgeable in appropriate design methods and procedures based on common modeling process
- Successful completion of CAD (Solid Works/NX/Catia/etc.) and Analysis (CAE/FEA) courses
- Developing knowledge of CAE and interpreting results
- Understanding of product design concepts and manufacturing processes (i.e. injection molding, stamping, extrusion, machining, etc.)
- Basic understanding of Specifications and Release terms and systems
- Knowledge of statistical methods as applied to experimental design and process development
Student Stipend: GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to eligible students selected for the 2024 Student Program.
Pay Transparency: The salary range for this role is $4,300 - $4,900, dependent upon class status and degree.
Benefits: Benefit options are not available for this role.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.