2024 Summer Intern – Accounting
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
At GM, our culture is to have a "One Team" approach, where we collaborate cross functionally to achieve enterprise-wide results. This program will give you the opportunity to work with a diverse group of teams to accomplish our larger goals. In this role you will support and coordinate with multiple facets of the General Motors global portfolio by crafting and implementing timely business solutions. As a member of our team, you will play a key role in solving meaningful and important issues facing our company!
Finance Accounting Internship Program
You will collaborate with GM’s globally diverse organizations to assemble data, perform analyses, and present your recommendations to senior GM executives at the end of your internship. In addition to your core work you will have unique networking opportunities with peers and senior finance executives and leaders which will facilitate your visibility and growth within GM. You will also participate in several key activities focused around the “Design/Build/Sell and Services” operations of the company, as well as a case competition, assembly plant tour, and overviews of key areas of finance.
Accounting rotations may include the following: Controllership, Audit, Tax. Rotations will provide candidates with the work experience necessary towards obtaining a CPA license and may include consolidating and reporting company results, analyzing transactions for appropriate accounting treatment, and serving as a strategic business partner to increase transparency, improve efficiency, shorten decision cycle times, and reinforce financial integrity and accountability.
- Pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or related fields
- Graduating with a Bachelor’s degree between October 2024 and June 2025 OR graduating with a Bachelor’s degree between December 2023 and June 2024 and will complete additional CPA required course work or Master’s degree (total 150 hours) between October 2024 and June 2025
- Able to work full time, 40 hours per week during the Summer of 2024
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities, or service organizations
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity and ability to initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with honesty, accountability, and trust
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet goals in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well with teams and cross-functional groups
- Functional/Technical Skills, Problem Solving, Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Interpersonal Savvy, Strategic Agility, Managerial Courage, Innovative Thinking
- Currently pursuing or interested in pursuing a CPA is preferred
Strong Analytical Skills / Fundamental Knowledge of Corporate Finance
- Familiarity in use of common financial tools (ROI, NPV, IRR, etc.)
- Knowledge of corporate finance principles including ability to perform balance sheet analysis, Income statement analysis, cash flow statement analysis, capital structure analysis, etc.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles or sophisticated accounting principles for Accounting roles
- Sophisticated Excel skills and strong modeling and financial valuation skills
- Ability to work with people within and outside the group, including cross-functional partners
- Solves problems and develops new methods of analysis to streamline decision-making
- Searches out and corrects inconsistent data; finds and fixes root cause and understands the drivers
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2024 Student Program
The salary for this role is $4,400 per month
Benefit options are not available for this role
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers.
We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.