Summer Co-op/Cell Biology
Description of Department:
In Chemical Biology at GSK, we are interested in the rational application of chemical probes, peptides, and other type of small molecules to interrogate and modify biological systems, focused on unraveling, validating, and evaluating potential new biological targets for drug discovery.
We are seeking a highly motivated student to fill a Co-op Cell Biologist position in the Chemical Biology Department in R&D. The successful candidate will work and become part of the biology team to support existing projects and programs, performing biology experiments and simultaneously learning new technical and transferrable skills. His role will include participating with a matrix of cell biologists, chemists, and data scientists to enable the delivery of projects and department objectives to the highest possible scientific standard. Also, the selected candidate will be part of an enjoyable culture that inspires innovation, teamwork, and personal development while operating with transparency, respect, and integrity. Key Responsibilities: Contribute to the Chembio team by driving and understanding the design and implementation of biology experiments to solve biological questions. Culturing and maintaining immortalized cell lines and occasionally primary human cells. The candidate will gradually work with minimal supervision and be able to generate and present scientific data over time.
- Pursuing a B.S. or M.S in Biology, including Immunology, Molecular Biology, Genomics, or a related discipline.
- Must have an active student status and/or within 12 months post-graduation from a BS or MS degree program. Post-doctoral candidates are not eligible.
- Must be available to work full-time (~35 hours/week) throughout the duration of the assignment.
- Previous laboratory experience, ideally skilled in cell culture and aseptic techniques.
- Knowledge of molecular and cellular biology (techniques and literature).
- Understanding Immunology, techniques, and plate-based assays.
- Experience using multicolor FACS, qRT-PCR, killing assays, western blots, and aseptic cell culture.
- Desire to gain laboratory experience and develop as a scientist.
- While GSK embraces a flexible work environment, we do require certain positions to be onsite. Candidates who are hired for an on-site role and reside outside of 50-miles from their assigned work location are eligible for relocation stipend. This is a one-time payment to help offset housing & relocation expenses. Please refer to the position details for the requirements of each position.
- GSK Interns and Co-ops are offered a competitive hourly pay rate and benefits. Please note, benefits eligibility determined the month following date of hire.
- Must successfully pass a drug screen and background check prior to assignment target start date.
- If your skillsets are a match for this role, you will be contacted by our recruitment team with next steps to complete our internal World of GSK Assessment.
- Please note, you must receive a passing score to move forward in the interview process. Once your assessment is complete, a recruiter will review your results and be in touch with next steps.