Summer Co-op/Downstream Process Development
Description of Department:
As a Co-op the Carrier Unit group, you will integrate with a multidisciplinary team in charge of purification and characterization of recombinant proteins. You will be in close contact with experts in upstream, downstream and various analytical technologies. Your mission will be focused on the development and execution of downstream processes in different research and development contexts (early development, processability, process development, process understanding, troubleshooting, Life cycle).
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to join our team as a Protein Purification Co-op. The successful candidate will work closely with our scientists and engineers to support ongoing research and development efforts in protein purification with a focus on chromatography, depth filtration, and TFF.
- Assist in the design, execution, and analysis of experiments to optimize protein purification processes using chromatography, depth filtration, and TFF techniques
- Prepare buffers and reagents required for protein purification experiments
- Operate and maintain chromatography systems, including AKTA and HPLC, to purify proteins
- Perform bench-scale protein purification experiments using depth filtration and TFF technologies
- Analyze protein samples using various biochemical and biophysical techniques, including SDS-PAGE, western blotting, and UV-Vis spectroscopy
- Document experimental procedures and results in electronic laboratory notebooks
- Communicate experimental results to project teams and participate in group meetings and discussions
- Assist with general laboratory maintenance and organization as needed
- Pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering or similar disciplines.
- Must be able to work full-time (35-40 hours/week) throughout the 6 month co-op.
- Must have an active student status and/or within 12 months post-graduation from a BS or MS degree program. Post-doctoral candidates are not eligible.
- Strong interest in protein purification and experience in a laboratory setting.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and data analysis software.
- Knowledge of protein purification principles and techniques, including chromatography, depth filtration, and TFF
- Familiarity with protein analytical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, western blotting, and UV-Vis spectroscopy
- While GSK embraces a flexible work environment, we do require certain positions to be onsite. Candidates who are hired for an on-site role and reside outside of 50-miles from their assigned work location are eligible for relocation stipend. This is a one-time payment to help offset housing & relocation expenses. Please refer to the position details for the requirements of each position.
- GSK Interns and Co-ops are offered a competitive hourly pay rate and benefits. Please note, benefits eligibility determined the month following date of hire.
- Must successfully pass a drug screen and background check prior to assignment target start date.
- If your skillsets are a match for this role, you will be contacted by our recruitment team with next steps to complete our internal World of GSK Assessment.
- Please note, you must receive a passing score to move forward in the interview process. Once your assessment is complete, a recruiter will review your results and be in touch with next steps.