2023 NLP Intern
Title: 2023 NLP Intern
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: NA Bixby Lab
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bixby is an intelligent personal assistant which is available as a built-in application on Samsung flagship devices and wearables. This application uses Natural Language Understanding to decipher user requests and perform tasks on these devices using voice and text, including but not limited to making phone calls, sending text messages, setting up meetings, opening apps, setting alarms and timers, getting directions, answering general questions, providing information about restaurants and other businesses, etc.
The Natural Language Understanding team aims to enable Bixby to correctly understand the intent behind any spoken request quickly and accurately, and generate appropriate natural language responses and actions. You will collaborate closely with experts in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing, perform cutting edge research, and contribute to advancing the state of the art in human language understanding systems.
As an NLP Intern you will primarily focus on building the NLU platform for Bixby by working with Machine Learning Experts, Lab Leaders and Linguistic Experts, brainstorming novel ideas, researching, building POCs and proposing solutions that cater to the broader business needs. You will work with a small and nimble team to help design machine learning models, data pipelines, integrate into and maintain production systems and analyze key metrics for decision makers to provide insights that will be beneficial to Bixby consumers.
- As an NLP intern, you will research, prototype, develop, deploy and scale innovative ML/NLP solutions in collaboration with Linguistic Experts and Product Management teams
- You will develop predictive models on large-scale datasets to address various business problems leveraging advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques
- Set up processes to monitor and continually improve efficiency and performance of models
- Software development including algorithm implementation, optimization, performance profiling, integration to production systems, testing and documentation
- Program primarily in Python using efficient algorithms and software design patterns
- Relevant experience in Natural Language Understanding, Intent Classification and Slot Filling, Dialogue Management, Question Answering, Text Classification, Information Retrieval, or Knowledge Extraction
- Experience with building end-to-end systems based on machine learning or deep learning methods
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures and run-time analysis
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience with deep learning architectures such as LSTMs, Transformers, Tree-LSTMs, Graph Neural Networks, etc.
- Experience with cutting-edge deep learning–based NLP models such as ELMo, BERT, OpenAI GPT-2/3, BART, BigBird, ERNIE, etc.
- Experience with deep learning NLP toolkits such as huggingface, spacy, etc.
- Experience with deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, JAX and libraries like Hugging Face transformers, Deep Graph Library, DGL-KE, etc.
- Able to solve real–world problems using cutting–edge ideas and independent research
- A willingness to learn and remain agile in a dynamic environment
- Analytical and problem-solving skills for design, creation and testing of custom software
- Extensive experience with software prototyping or designing experimental software
- Adept at adapting academic ideas and theoretical algorithms into a production system
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The hourly pay rate range for roles at this level is $36 and $63 but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the hourly pay rate range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.