2023 XR Design Intern
Title: 2023 XR Design Intern
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Mobile Platform Solutions
Location: Mountain View, CA
Are you passionate about transforming bleeding-edge technologies into products and services that will impact millions in our daily lives? At Mobile Platform Solutions (MPS) IMEX (Immersive Experiences Lab), we are looking for a passionate XR Design Intern to share their creative vision and to build applications and services for Samsung's array of devices spanning mobile phones, speakers, wearables, etc. In this position, you will join a collaborative team of world-class researchers, designers, and engineers in the field of AI/ML, IAM, & IoT technologies, with emphasis on computer vision, AR/VR/XR.
Come join the Samsung MPS team and be a leader in bringing futuristic services to life!
The XR Design Intern will work with the IMEX Design Group inside MPS to create designs and prototypes for next generation applications by incorporating research and insights. You will research currently available products and services to gain user insights. You will combine it to come up with a design to contribute to proof of concept prototypes that showcase new product directions, features, and interactions. You will participate in discussions with other team members for other projects. You strike a balance between a visual designer and UX designer. You can create new ideas that will resonate with consumers, but can also open Unity and make your ideas tangible. You will work with designers to refine your designs and engineers to refine your code.
We are specifically looking for someone who will work well within our team and someone who can bring in a new background outside of our team’s current strengths.
- Conduct user research on multiple available product and services.
- Work cross functionally with design, product, engineering team to share the insights and to identify new opportunities and challenges.
- Research and design to develop new interactions, applications, and platform features that are in line with business objectives.
- Start ideation with sketches and move ideas into interactive prototypes.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a design discipline, human-computer interaction, games, or computer science. Can either be a current student or recently graduated.
- 1+ years working on AR/VR projects or products, either in school or industry.
- 2+ years of designing experience using Adobe CS and/or Figma.
- Able to work with designers, engineers, researchers, and product managers.
- Able to navigate ambiguous, shifting requirements in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to show at least one relevant project that has well developed visuals, interactions, product direction, or all three.
- Master’s degree in a design discipline, human-computer interaction, games, or computer science preferred.
- Deep experience with at least one AR/VR headset, especially if you’ve designed and built for them preferred.
- Familiarity with a 3D modeling tool (e.g. Blender, Maya, etc.) preferred.
- 2+ years prototyping or programming experience in Unity preferred.
- Experience working with a framework such as MRTK, XRI, OpenXR, Oculus preferred.
- Familiarity with user testing in AR or VR preferred.
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The hourly pay rate range for roles at this level is $36 and $63 but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the hourly pay rate range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.