Embedded Software Engineer - Energy Research
Job Description Summary
As an Embedded Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to architect and develop state-of-the-art embedded systems for real-time controls and communication applications as well as lead and contribute to R&D programs aligned with GE Vernova’s energy businesses such as Power Generation, Renewables, and Hydro as well as with U.S. Government Agencies such as the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy. The technologies developed under these programs will be matured and transitioned into GE business products. Are you ready to join our team of technology enthusiasts to help make GE’s industrial assets safer and more secure to protect the world’s most critical infrastructure?
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with GE businesses to help transition real-time embedded controls and communication systems from early stage lab demonstrations to fieldable prototypes.
- Work with hardware suppliers and engineering tool providers to identify and select solutions for challenging industrial and defense applications.
- Collaborate with universities, industrial consortiums, commercial partners, and others to advance the state of the art in embedded computing.
- Publish technical papers, file patents, and contribute to open source communities.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related disciplines OR Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related disciplines with a minimum of 3 years of industry experience OR Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related disciplines with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience.
- Strong embedded C/C++ skills.
- Working knowledge of Linux driver and/or kernel development.
- Experience with Linux build systems (e.g., Yocto, PetaLinux) and CI/CD technologies.
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies such as hypervisors, Docker containers, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in teams and across business functions.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Coding experience with Bash, C#, Python, Matlab, etc.
- Experience with FPGA design and development using VHDL and/or Verilog.
- Familiarity with Xilinx and/or Altera devices, tools, and ecosystem (e.g., ModelSim, Intel Quartus, and Xilinx Vivado).
- Working knowledge of real-time operating systems (e.g., VxWorks, QNX, and RTLinux).
- Experience with the development of real-time embedded applications and systems on microcontrollers, FPGAs, x86, and/or ARM processors.
- Understanding of embedded system security requirements and security techniques.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes
GE (NYSE:GE) rises to the challenge of building a world that works. For more than 125 years, GE has invented the future of industry, and today the company’s dedicated team, leading technology, and global reach and capabilities help the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE’s people are diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest level of integrity and focus to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for its customers. www.ge.com