2023 Co-Op - Manufacturing Electrical/Controls Engineer
Manufacturing Electrical/Controls Engineer Co-Op
At General Motors we strive for a culture of excellence. We act with integrity. We are driven by ingenuity and innovation. We have the courage to do and say what's difficult. Each of us takes accountability for results, drives for continued efficiencies and has the tenacity to win.
We are seeking Manufacturing Electrical Engineer Co-ops to do hands-on work that would have the opportunity to add directly to the bottom line of our culture and our company. You will have many responsibilities and accountabilities like control systems engineering and electrical support for programs. You will learn how to lead electrical projects for several different areas of the plant including operations improvements, new and replacement programs. This is a hands-on position in which you may work with periodic repairs and to provide technical support and direction to support personnel/skilled trades.
- Investigates system and equipment problems and provides technical guidance in problem resolution
- Develops cost estimates, investment forecasts, business cases, appropriation requests and plans for minor project activity
- Coordinates with area manufacturing engineers on process and equipment planning, including model change, throughput, sourcing, etc.
- Supports GMS and Quality Network implementation initiatives
- Utilizes statistical methods for continuous improvement on plant systems
- Implements safe work practices as the highest priority and implements objectives for ergonomics, health/safety and housekeeping
- Maintains good working relationships with peers, hourly employees, union, management, supplier community and collaborates with vital support functions outside of the assembly plant
- Develops and supervises planning timetables and projects schedules
- Coordinates and communicates the development of changes to improve conditions for the assembly process
- Conducts electrical root cause analysis and problem solving
- Programming of manufacturing technology
- Analyzes product, process and technology to figure out best methods of manufacture
- Assists in the design and building of tools and equipment or recommends improvements to existing processes. Assists maintenance personnel in operation and maintenance of niche equipment
We have opportunities available in the below locations for this role. Please indicate in your application which of these locations you are interested in.
- Flint, MI
- Parma, OH
- Tonawanda, NY
- Rochester, NY
- Pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: :Electrical Engineering/Electrical Engineering Technology, Controls Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Must be graduating between December 2023 and May 2026
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Enrolled in a co-op program at your university
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Strong leadership skills, to guide project teams through planning, execution and insight phases
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, especially the ability to synthesize large amounts of data involving multiple variables into comprehensive, applicable insights
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, managing timelines and goals
- Willingness to ask questions, take initiative and be resourceful and inventive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Deliver new and creative solutions to sophisticated problems
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
• Onsite : This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.