Intern - Material Engineer
Dexcom, Inc. empowers people to take control of diabetes through innovative continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Dexcom has emerged as a leader of diabetes care technology. By listening to the needs of users, caregivers, and providers, Dexcom simplifies and improves diabetes management around the world.
Throughout the pandemic, one of our key priorities has been to keep employees as safe as possible. At this time, we plan for most of our summer internships to be virtual, with exceptions of essential groups. We ask for our intern candidates to be flexible to a virtual format or residence in the location of the position throughout the duration of the internship.
The Material Engineering Intern will join the material science group within Dexcom’s research and development organization. He/she will have opportunities working broadly with engineers and scientists on various projects at different stages of the product development life-cycle. The individual is expected to be detail oriented with hands-on aptitude and will provide primary support to the operation of lab-scale material processing unit operations. The ideal candidate will have general understanding and training in materials science and engineering. The candidate will also be required to generate documentation and provide updates to the team as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate and maintain material processing and analytical equipment in support of technical feasibility and prototyping project work
- Assist in process validation activities
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date lab records, notebooks, and other documentation
- Work as a member of the Team to complete all required tasks according to schedule
- Understand and apply basic laboratory safety protocols, chemical hygiene, and dispose chemical waste according to Dexcom and local EHS regulations
- Follow GMP guidelines and comply to all quality and safety requirements
- Working knowledge and experience with polymer synthesis and manufacturing processes
- Interest and ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Must be able to able to create/maintain all necessary equipment and testing documentation
- Must be organized and detail oriented