Engagement Team Co-op (Event Coordinator) Winter/Spring 2023
About MassDOT and HR:
In the past two decades, MassDOT has undergone a metamorphosis, moving from data-poor to data-rich, upgrading systems, and becoming a more innovative and collaborative part of the organization. The Human Resource department has been a key leader in innovation at MassDOT, challenging the status quo and reimagining the workplace for the several thousand employees that it supports on a daily basis. HR is a critical hub of communication, training, knowledge and resource sharing, and career development across MassDOT’s five Divisions--Rail & Transit, The Registry of Motor Vehicles, Highway, Aeronautics, and its shared service departments.
As a team member at HR, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the agency at its most fundamental level: its workforce. Furthermore, you’ll get firsthand experience driving new initiatives on how to engage our employees more effectively through process improvement and culture change initiatives.
The Engagement Team Co-op will report to the Manager of Engagement and be responsible for supporting the organization-wide engagement programs for 3500+ employees. A successful co-op in this role will take a continuous improvement approach, taking time to evaluate current processes, and partnering with the HR Data Analytics and Operation Teams, HR Communications Team, Talent Acquisition, and Learning and Development.
The responsibilities in this position are wide-ranging, with many different topics and types of activities/tasks, to help spearhead HR programs. Therefore, an Engagement Team Co-op needs to be able to manage multiple projects with concurrent timelines and be very detail oriented, independent, pro-active, and organized. It is also critical for this person to be able to communicate effectively both verbally and through written communications.
As this Engagement Team Co-op is responsible for event planning and scheduling, he/she must have the ability to gather and organize information from a variety of sources, while occasionally being asked to facilitate at events, working sessions, and decision-making conversations within all divisions of MassDOT.
A successful co-op in this role will be comfortable and show skills in leading dialogues, making recommendations to people in various roles and levels, budgeting the projects, and being a good listener. This role is associated with new and existing projects relating to the Onboarding Program, Mentorship Program, Performance Management Events, Award and Recognition initiatives, Manager Training, and Social Events.
Please attach a copy of your resume and a cover letter stating your interest in the position, your goals for the internship within the context of working at MassDOT.
- Gain familiarity with the Engagement Programs in HR in various stages of progress; get a thorough understanding of the goals of each project, the activities to be undertaken, project timelines, and the steps needed to move through the project stages.
- Work closely with members of the Engagement and members of the HR Team to understand and contribute to ideas to further engage MassDOT employees.
- Conduct research on best practices for employee engagement
- Manage the Event Calendar for engagement focused initiatives including scheduling, invitations, and venue location.
- Conduct a pre- and post-event analysis to be able to plan properly and to learn so to improve on future events.
- Create proposals for each event and adhere to deadlines in planning.
- Responsible for assigning duties to other members of staff where and when it is necessary
- Maintain good relationship with various stakeholders that are involved in the event, as well as with program leads
- Put in place some contingency plans in case of unforeseen scenarios or mishaps during the course of an event
- Coordinate all logistics relating to the event, guest speakers, video links, plus possible food and beverage requests, and supplies.
- Plan events in line with the allocated budget assigned for the event
- Supervise activities going on during events; serve as the “problem-solver” on the event day
- Ensure events are well publicized and recorded (pictures and videos) working with the communications area of MassDOT.
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and other duties as necessary.
A successful candidate will have:
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment, with multiple competing priorities/projects.
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop ideas from scratch and develop ideas into concepts.
- Ability to work effectively in a small and collaborative team in a hybrid work environment.
- Research new and creative strategies to engage MassDOT employees at all levels.
- Event Planning knowledge or experience with virtual and in-person events.
- Technical knowledge necessary to assist and enhance event structure (Multi-location/hybrid/interactive)
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Solution-oriented attitude, with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Systemic perspective and approach to problem-solving and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to travel to state-wide MassDOT locations for meetings and presentations on occasion
- Possess good leadership and delegation skills
- Creativity in working in an environment with limited resources.
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants who apply within the first 14 days.
Must be enrolled in a bachelor's or graduate degree program for Winter/Spring 2023.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered.
· For questions regarding the job posting, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
· For general questions regarding MassDOT, call the Human Resources Service Center at 857-368-4722.
· For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call ADA Coordinator, Heather Ulesoo – (617) 851-9447.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Executive Order #595: As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption.