Advanced Magnetic Media Physics Research Engineering Summer Intern- Summer 2023
About our group:
You will be working in the recording physics and advanced development group at Seagate recording media research center where we help understand media recording physics and design directions for further extending data storage capacity. The team works closely with the media fabrication team and plays a critical role in developing the next generation recording technology.
About the role - you will:
- Develop and improve existing models to evaluate recording Physics and media designs for both Perpendicular and Heat-assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR) media.
- Improve the efficiency of Existing recording Modeling, integrating different modeling modules to enhance the Modeling capability, ranging from Atomistic, LLB and recording system modeling
- Improve our Thin Film Materials growth Modeling and compare with Microstructure analysis from TEM
- Compare measurement results with modeling results to understand the underlying media Physics and help provide insights for media design improvements
- For suitable candidate with related experience, you could be involved with designing and improving state-of-art magnetic and optical characterization tools for HAMR
Interns typically work Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm. The hours are subject to change with or without notice at the sole discretion of Seagate.
- Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
- Available summer 2023 starting in May or June and returning to school in the fall.
- Familiar with Linux system as a user.
- Master in C/C++ (CUDA optional but nice to have)
- Familiar with Python
- Experience with C# (asynchronous and design pattern programming optional but nice to have)
- Expert in micromagnetics modeling
- Proficient communication with team members.
- Knowledge and experience with thin film Materials Science
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a creative environment.
- Experience and skillsets to integrate magnetic, electrical and optical characterizations tools are also highly desirable for the potential projects
- knowledge and experience with SolidWorks, Data Acquisition and Instrumentation control software
Your experience includes:
- Other helpful skills include: previous experience with computational simulations and modeling of magnetic systems
- Experience with magnetic characterizations would be a strong plus and we could match the summer intern projects with the relevant skillsets
Location: Fremont, CA
Our Gold LEED-certified Fremont product-design campus drives innovation, bringing together a diverse set of engineering, design, operations, support and administrative teams. The site is equipped with state-of-the-art clean room and lab space. On-site social activities are popular, including our annual BBQ, ice cream social, and holiday events. Wellness programs, gaming rooms and the on-site fitness center help round out and balance your Seagate work-life experience, along with opportunities to give back to our local community.
Location: Fremont, USA, Research Center