Summer 2023 Internship - Civil Engineering / Construction - Indianapolis IN
Summer 2023 Internship – Construction Technician
PSI, an Intertek company, is searching for a Summer Intern – Construction Inspector to join our Building & Construction team in our Indianapolis, IN office. This is a fantastic opportunity to grow a versatile career in the architectural, engineering, and construction (A/E/C) industry!
The Summer Intern – Construction Technician role performs a variety of testing, project specific observations and site assessment duties under direct supervision and/or from detailed controlled procedures. Successful Intern Candidates will be pursuing a Summer Internship who are in the process of completing a Bachelor's Degree in the Sciences, Mathematics, Construction Management, Engineering, or Geology fields
The Building & Construction team provides assurance, testing, inspection, and certification services and building science solutions to deliver Total Quality Assurance to the built environment. The team offers the architectural, engineering and construction (A/E/C) industry with a full suite of capabilities both in the lab and on site.
What you’ll do:
- Performs a variety of testing, project specific observations and site assessment duties under direct supervision and/or from detailed controlled procedures.
- Operates testing equipment and conducts testing, (example: Soil, concrete or other) and provides assessment of data through reporting
- Works utilizing drawings, specifications, and diagrams
- Uses specific methods to observe site activities and perform tasks
- Make detailed observations and gives limited interpretation of results
- Maintains detailed documentation and data from test results
- Operates a calculator to calculate mathematical test results
- Communicates effectively with client and project teams
- Must be aware of, and adhere to, safety practices and policies to ensure your own safety, as well as the safety of others who may be affected by your actions at work
What it takes to be successful in this role:
- Current student in a Bachelor's Program in the Sciences, Mathematics, Construction Management, Engineering, or Geology fields at an accredited university
- No Experience Required – Will Train
- Must have Basic Math, Calculator and Computer Skills
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively in verbal & written communication
- Must be able to read and understand work plans
- Must be able to work off shifts and overtime
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable driving record (required)
- Ability to lift, move, push and pull 30 to 50 pounds frequently. Occasionally, over 50 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, (hearing) and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Ability to kneel and squat occasionally
- Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions (hot and cold)
- Ability to climb occasionally