Dallas Economic Empowerment Intern
Title: Economic Empowerment Intern
Location: Dallas, TX
Start Date: Rolling
Duration: 3-4 months
Gain experience working at a leading, global humanitarian organization; participate in team meetings & regular supervisor check-ins; partake in team building, leadership training & networking opportunities; practice your language skills & make lasting impacts on the lives of IRC clients.
- Research and identify programs, resources & employers to help refugees meet long-term educational, employment and life goals; Develop/maintain database of financial resources for clients
- Provide one-on-one financial coaching and counseling for clients
- Assist employable clients prepare resumes, submit online job applications & prepare for interviews
- Client outreach to identify and follow up on job placements, track meetings, progress & retention rates
- Co-facilitate financial literacy/education workshops for client groups
- Provide translation and interpretation when necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned, including answering and directing phone calls
- Learn about career development programs for refugee and immigrant populations
- Develop communications skills including group orientations, client assessments & one-on-one trainings
- Practice community outreach, client services and problem-solving skills
Check with your school's Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
- Undergraduate level studies in social sciences, international relations, or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment & respect cultural & personality differences, beliefs, and values of refugee clients.
- Ability to work independently and with high attention to detail, especially in a remote setting
- Competency in Microsoft Office, data tracking, and file management
- Exceptional communication skills
- Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude.
- Willingness to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
- Adherence to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
- Ability to drive clients to appointments (mileage will be reimbursed).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.