Dallas Resettlement Intern
TITLE: Refugee Resettlement Intern
LOCATION: Dallas, TX
START DATE: Rolling basis
DURATION: 6 months / 12-15 hours per week
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: The Resettlement Intern will assist case management staff in providing reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees as they adjust to their new lives in the US. (S)he will play a key role in helping refugee families access needed benefits and services within their first to six months in the United States. The intern will also perform a series of clerical and administrative duties to ensure client files are kept up to date.
- Assist casework staff with reception services to clients, including scheduling and accompanying clients to appointments.
- Assist clients with their applications to enroll in public benefits and showing them how to navigate the Dallas Public transportation system.
- Assist staff with sorting and filing of documents and case files.
- Contribute to client’s ability to thrive in their community through a strong emphasis on client empowerment.
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
- Display sensitivity to cultural and personality differences of clients. Respect their beliefs and values.
- Perform front desk duties when necessary, such as greeting visitors, answering the phones, and connecting them to appropriate staff.
- Provide translation and interpretation when necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned.
1. Student will learn about refugee resettlement and refugee social services
2. Student will develop problem solving and client services skills
3. Student will learn how to manage client cases within established deadlines
- Languages desired but not required: Dari, Burmese, Urdu, Arabic, French or Spanish.
- Strong desire to help refugees rebuild their lives in Dallas.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgement, and have high attention to detail.
- Competency in Microsoft Office, data tracking, and file management
- Effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude.
- Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
- Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
- Transporting clients by car is required
If you have any questions about this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check with your school's Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.