Transportation Summer Intern 2023 (Paid)
Transportation Summer Intern 2023 (Paid)
Date: Aug 29, 2022
Location: Kansas City, KS, US, 66106
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
Who are we:
We are one of the largest U.S. railroads transporting the nations freight across 28 western states and 3 Canadian provinces. As a member of our team, you will play a role in supporting the movement of essential products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply, and power communities throughout America and the world. Come make a difference with us!
What makes us different:
At BNSF, we do not just talk about culture, we live it. As a team member here, you would immediately experience how our culture is woven into what we do. Our goal is for everyone to achieve their highest potential by focusing on safety, continuous improvement, plus personal and professional growth. As an employee at BNSF, we have multiple programs to ensure that you will be recognized and appreciated for all your impactful work.
We also have plenty of developmental opportunities to further your career! Many of our team members that joined BNSF have experienced multiple career paths that were completely unplanned to them. We make development a priority at BNSF.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture. We have been recognized by multiple organizations such as Forbes (Best Employer for Women and New College Grads), Military Times (Best for Vets), and the Human Rights Campaign (Best Place to Work) for our outstanding culture!
The paid Summer Internship Program is an opportunity to experience what it’s like to be a full-time BNSF employee. As an intern at BNSF, you’ll be given real-life, impactful assignments that will put your skills and education into practice. Your summer project will combine classroom experience and real-life business situations to provide value-added work to BNSF.
The program is designed to identify students who will be hired by BNSF as full-time Management Trainees after they graduate. During your summer internship, you will get the chance to network with peers, our Business Resource Groups, and Senior Leaders throughout the BNSF network.
- Kick off the summer along with a group of interns for orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. Attend networking events, informal chats with subject-matter experts, partner with a mentor, and get first-hand experience working in preparation for a full-time management trainee position!
- Explore a potential career path at BNSF with incredible opportunities for growth and the possibility to travel our network
- Relocation and monthly housing stipend (starting at $800 a month!)
- Competitive vision, dental, and medical care
- Access to comprehensive discounts on everyday items such as travel, fitness classes (partnership with Peloton), relocation, car dealerships, and even mortgages!
- Get connected! Join any of our company-sponsored business resource groups. There are plenty of networking opportunities within BNSF!
- Employee assistance programs to aid in work/life situations such as mental health, legal/financial questions, relationship support, and child/elder care plus more!
Work Location: Fort Worth, TX; Belen, NM; Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; Houston, TX; Kansas City, KS; Lincoln, NE; Minneapolis, MN; San Bernardino, CA; Vancouver, WA; Whitefish, MT
Anticipated Start Date: June 2023
Number of Positions: 21
Salary: $4,625 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing, and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
- Summer relocation will likely be required.
- A candidate can be relocated to any location listed in the “Work Location” section above
- An ideal candidate should be very flexible regarding location, as there is limited availability at each of the above locations
- Relocation assistance may be provided to those who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their current residence.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This challenging program offers students the opportunity to learn about the working logistics of this fast-paced railroad. The summer will be spent on an assigned Division within BNSF’s 32,500-mile system. During this assignment, the intern will learn to manage railroad terminal operations, work on specific logistics projects, assist supervisors in managing crews (which consists of a conductor and engineer), interact with other Operating departments (Mechanical and Engineering) and learn more about the field operations supervisory position.
Examples of summer activities could include, but are not limited to:
- Observe safety briefings throughout the shift with crews, dispatchers, maintenance employees and other BNSF Team Members.
- Ride trains with the crews and observe Operational testing & audits for the crews.
- Assist with planning the movement of cars, inventory, locomotives, crews, and trains within a designated terminal and across an Operational division/territory.
- Shadow other Operating groups to better understand how the teams work together.
- Complete various location-specific projects as assigned by the field supervisor
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
- Indoors and outdoors on a regular basis.
- Environment requires personal protective equipment, hard hat, safety glasses, and gloves. These materials will be provided by BNSF
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week and could include 12-hour shifts
- Schedule could involve nights, weekends, and holidays, as BNSF is a 24x7 work environment.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 for Engineering or Construction Management majors OR cumulative GPA of 2.75 for non-Engineering majors.
- Current enrollment in a bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than four (4) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, please EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to relocate to an assigned location within the BNSF Network for the summer.
- I am able to hear and, with training, distinguish auditory signals.
- I am able to visually distinguish among red, blue, green, yellow, and lunar (clear light) colors.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Pursuit of a degree in Engineering, Logistics, Transportation, Supply Chain Management, Business, Distribution, OR a similar program.
- Graduation date prior to September 2024.
- Experience working in an engineering, transportation, logistics or supply chain environment.
- Experience working outdoors or in an industrial environment.
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.