Software Engineering Internship
About the Organization:
As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
About Data Driven Interventions (DDI):
Produces data informed products and reports that give LEAs the tools they need to create change in their departments and create more equitable public safety.
CPE is seeking dynamic, part-time (up to 15 hours/week) interns with a passion for social justice issues to join our team! Interns will work closely with CPE staff to support our justice, science, field engagement or program management initiatives. CPE's internship is designed to develop and cultivate interpersonal & professional skills.
Location: Remote, within the United States
Program Dates: January 18 - May 27, 2022.
Responsibilities include making product feature enhancements, bug fixes, and writing tests, along with other duties depending on skill set and interest
- Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms
- Superior attention to detail
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a remote environment
- Preference for rising junior or senior with a passion for social justice issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in G Suite, specifically Gmail, Google Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms
- Passionate about social justice issues
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume/CV (REQUIRED)
- Cover Letter (REQUIRED)
The Center for Policing Equity strives to build a diverse team that is inclusive of multiple perspectives and welcoming for people of all backgrounds. Women and members of underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to apply.