Seagate Heated Dot Magnetic Recording (HDMR) Media Research Engineering Intern
Location: Fremont, CA, US
About our group:
Seagate delivers advanced digital storage solutions to meet the needs of today’s consumers and tomorrow’s applications. Through technology, leadership and innovation, Seagate continues to help individuals and businesses maximize the potential of their digital content in an ever-evolving, on-demand world.
Are you an engineering grad student seeking an exciting opportunity for summer 2020? This is a great internship opportunity for someone to learn and help develop next generation Heated Dot Magnetic Recording (HDMR) technology.
About the role - you will:
The internship will be located at our recently opened, world class Fremont Research Center and will report to the Managing Principal Engineer of Advanced Media development. The successful candidate will work as part of a team, working on projects that include:
• Developing and demonstrating media patterning technology for next generation ≥5Tbits/in2 magnetic recording media.
• Work with Process Engineers to develop novel patterning and dry etching (Ion Beam Etching (IBE) and Reactive-Ion Beam Etching (RIE)) processes for defining sub-3nm dense features. Apply processes to fabricate FePt based patterned media through nano-imprinting, nanoscale pattern transfer and guided FePt growth.
• Project will involve physical and magnetic characterization of the patterned device.
• Setup and run sputter deposition experiments to understand film growth and develop working model of nucleation and growth.
Interns typically work Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm. The hours are subject to change with or without notice at the sole discretion of Seagate.
Your experience includes:
- Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD in Materials Science, Physics/Magnetism, Electrical Engineering, or a related field with research.
- Experience in nanofabrication, especially in dry etching, is a plus
- Available summer 2022 starting in May or June and returning to school in the fall.
- Other helpful skills include: system integration, data-acquisition and instrumentation control programing skills.
- Proficient communication with team members.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a creative environment.
Location: Fremont, CA
Our Gold LEED-certified Fremont product-design campus drives innovation, bringing together a diverse set of engineering, design, operations, support and administrative teams. The site is equipped with state-of-the-art clean room and lab space. On-site social activities are popular, including our annual BBQ, ice cream social, and holiday events. Wellness programs, gaming rooms and the on-site fitness center help round out and balance your Seagate work-life experience, along with opportunities to give back to our local community.
Location: Fremont, USA, Research Center
Other Important information:
United States Only - Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate's EEO Statement - Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.