Seagate Summer Firmware Intern
Location: Longmont, CO, US
About our group:
The Dataflow and Performance group is responsible for the development of new technologies and features to enhance the reliability and performance of the disc drives. The team has a deep technical expertise in firmware design and a passion for developing cutting-edge solutions. The group supports the mainstream Nearline products. The team is involved in staging of new technologies like Hybrid SMR, Parallelism and the definition of the hardware and firmware architecture for the next generation products for newer and ever evolving HDD applications.
About the role - you will:
- Assist with the requirements/design/implementation of disc drive controller firmware for an embedded system application.
- Have a strong command of the C programming language and excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Learn about disc drive firmware and working with other design functions to deploy new value add functions into next generation of disc drives.
Other responsibilities include:
- Unit level testing firmware using PC-based simulation, emulation, and/or co-verification methods and participating in document and code reviews. Knowledge of disc drive interfaces - SATA, SAS & NVMe - is helpful for the role • develop additional skills with object-oriented design, software development using C programming language, unit level testing to ensure requirement conformance, active participation in requirement, design and code reviews, and debug through emulation, simulation, and hardware/firmware co-verification.
We are looking for a self-starter and self-motivated individual who is able to apply new knowledge quickly and effectively on the job. You possess good verbal and technical writing skills and the ability to work independently on a task or as a member of a team on a more significant project.
Your experience includes:
- Knowledge of HDD/SSD devices and technologies
- Familiarity with the Agile development process
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop good working relationships
- Pursuing a Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering or related field and enrolled in Fall 2022 courses
You might also have:
- Experience with firmware development and test tools and processes
- Knowledge of system and storage subsystem topologies • Knowledge of storage device interfaces (SAS, SATA, NVMe)
Colorado's 2021 Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (SB 19-085) requires we inform you of the estimated base hourly range for this position: $18-33. Actual salary range is based on fair market value of the role in the geography in which you live based on the requirements of the job and your skills. This posted salary range is a good faith and reasonable estimate, and Seagate reserves the right to adjust this range depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. Seagate offers comprehensive benefits to its eligible employees; including, but not limited to, medical, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long term disability, annual variable pay bonus, 401(k), employee stock purchase plan, flexible and dependent care spending accounts, health care spending account, flexible time off/vacation, paid holidays and paid parental leave.
Our Longmont product-design campus is nestled against the foothills with exceptional views of the Rocky Mountains. Here at work, you can grab breakfast and lunch in the on-site cafeteria or get an afternoon espresso, prepared by a professional barista. Our 1,500+ employees enjoy an active on-site experience from sporting activities (get in a few laps at lunch on our 1-mile walking path around campus, play ping-pong or volleyball, or stop in our 24- hour fitness center for a group or individual workout) to community service and many employee resource groups including Pride!, Women’s Leadership Network and a Young Professionals Network.
Location: Longmont, United States
Other Important information:
United States Only - Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate's EEO Statement - Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.