Seagate Intern - Microfluidic - Summer 2022
Location: Shakopee, MN, US
About our group:
Seagate Research Group is seeking a motivated engineering or applied physics intern who is familiar with microfluidic modeling, including CFD, and has an interest in microfluidic device design or fabrication. The position is based at Seagate’s R&D site in Shakopee, MN.
About the role - you will:
- Review primary literature to gain knowledge of the latest techniques for transporting fluid volumes at the sub-microliter scale, such as those used for Lab on a Chip (LoaC) applications or drug delivery.
- Develop an understanding of the forces affecting fluid flow or fluid droplets at this volume scale, including electrical field and electrostatic effects.
- Develop and simulate methods for mixing and separating flows, or droplets, at the sub-micro volume scale.
- Recommend fluidic device design approaches and materials that enable manipulation of low volume droplet or flow manipulation.
- Consider different fabrication strategies and make recommendations based on the above learning and simulation.
- Student pursuing an MS or PhD degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering, materials science, applied physics, or other related discipline
- Using packaged fluid mechanical software (CFD), such as ANSYS.
- Familiarity with concepts and methods in ultra-low volume fluid flow.
- Familiarity with microfluidic device fab and device control.
- Self-motivated, independent and a team player with strong communication skills
- Attentive to detail, and proactive in defining the direction of the project
Our Shakopee campus is located 25 minutes southwest of Minneapolis in a setting with a rural vibe – it overlooks a horse racing track and stables, yet it has great entertainment venues close by as well. With wide-open spaces, the campus has plenty of space for running, biking, shooting some hoops or playing volleyball over lunch. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, tournaments and group workouts. Hungry? Seagate offers an on-site café with freshly sourced foods and specialty coffees, or if you prefer, drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away.
Other Important information:
United States Only - Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate's EEO Statement - Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.