Seagate Intern - Material Science - Summer 2022
Location: Bloomington, MN, US
About our group:
Our team’s mission is to perform materials characterization and collaboration, supporting state-of-the-art recording head technology. Recording head process technology encompasses all disciplines employed in semiconductor process and Hard Drive assembly technologies.
The Materials Science group is looking for an engineering student with extraordinary potential to further our team’s learning in analysis methods and strategies in support of new process and product development.
As an intern you will get to work with a variety of our staff, while working on real projects that contribute to the development of next generation of magnetic recording heads.
About the role - you will:
The selected candidate will work with our Advanced Material Science group specializing in testing and evaluation of polymeric, ceramic and metallic materials (ie. FTIR, GCMS, LCMS, Raman and IC).
- Literature review
- Physical and chemical materials property testing
- Testing and evaluation of materials such as adhesives, coatings, rubbers, plastics, and metals
- Work safely in a collaborative fast-paced, team environment
- Keep accurate records of lab experiments
- Must be a student currently enrolled in a BS degree in a science-based discipline, such as chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science and engineering
- Sophomore standing or higher
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Knowledge of lab procedures and capable of keeping accurate lab records
- Knowledge of testing and characterization equipment
- Ability to prepare and deliver written reports and presentations
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Data analysis experience using Excel, JMP, Minitab or Origin.
Your experience includes:
- Experience working in a laboratory or previous related internship experience preferred, but not necessary
- Course work in polymer materials is preferred
- Course work in organic chemistry is preferred
Our Normandale campus spans two suburbs, Edina and Bloomington, and serves as the Recording Head development and manufacturing arm of Seagate. Located in the heart of a bustling community, Seagate offers an on-site café, or if you prefer, you can drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away. Need to grab a gift over lunch time? Shopping is abundant in the area. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, outdoor activities, tournaments and group workouts. Looking for something more laid back? Reset in one of our meditation rooms, or simply take a walk around our indoor walking path. On-site cultural festivals, celebrations and community volunteer opportunities also abound.
Other Important information:
United States Only - Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate's EEO Statement - Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.