Seagate Intern - Product Development - Summer 2022
Location: Bloomington, MN, US
About our group:
The Mechanical Product Development team is responsible for all aspects of mechanical product development within the recording head technology department (RHT). This includes HDM validation, AAB integration, factory integration and performance / reliability assessments. This team is made up of tribologists, AAB designers, product engineers and process integration engineers.
About the role - you will:
- Develop and apply Multi-physics modeling of contact mechanics and head-disk contact based upon in-house and/or commercial software using high-performance computing.
- Develop new mechanical designs for Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR) technology
- Apply fundamentals of heat transfer, electrostatics, magnetics and contact mechanics
- Develop and apply new modeling tools that provide better understanding of new mechanical designs.
- Pursuing an MS or PhD degree in Physics, Math, Engineering Science and Mechanics, or (Electrical, Aerospace, Material Science or Mechanical) Engineering.
- Computational methods and high performance computing
- Basic understanding of statistics and six sigma methodology
- Able to work efficiently with PC based programs for data analysis and with Google site for documentation.
- Able to work in a very dynamic, fast-paced, highly technical environment. And deliver results under tight schedules
- ANSYS, MATLAB, Linux, Python and/or other programming languages.
- You are an innovative and self-motivated worker
- You enjoy learning about physical sciences, and applying this knowledge to solve engineering problems.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You have a demonstrated knowledge and experience working with high performance computing and numerical methods and enjoy work that involves writing scripts and code.
Our Normandale campus spans two suburbs, Edina and Bloomington, and serves as the Recording Head development and manufacturing arm of Seagate. Located in the heart of a bustling community, Seagate offers an on-site café, or if you prefer, you can drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away. Need to grab a gift over lunch time? Shopping is abundant in the area. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, outdoor activities, tournaments and group workouts. Looking for something more laid back? Reset in one of our meditation rooms, or simply take a walk around our indoor walking path. On-site cultural festivals, celebrations and community volunteer opportunities also abound.
Other Important information:
United States Only - Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate's EEO Statement - Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.