Seagate Intern - Deep Neural Networks for Plasmonic Design - Summer 2022
Location: Bloomington, MN, US
About our group:
Join the cutting-edge next generation data storage technology development group located in our Bloomington, MN facility, and accelerate scientific discovery and engineering advances through deep neural networks. In this internship, the employee will use machine learning for the capture, interpolation, and optimization of highly complex optical phenomena in Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR), with emphases on development of new non-intuitive designs. To accomplish this, the employee will benefit from background in the fields of machine learning, photonics, plasmonic, and computational modeling. The employee’s prior experience with generative adversarial networks (GANs) and optical modeling, COMSOL software and/or equivalent programs, will contribute strongly to the success of these efforts.
About the role - you will:
- Gather datasets from COMSOL simulation of different plasmonic structures, pre-process them to make
- Research suitable DNN architecture (discriminative/generative approaches) that can be used to design plasmonic nano-antenna for HAMR application.
- Post-process, analyze, organize, and present results. Draw physically meaningful conclusions about configurations and expected performance and communicate findings.
- Suggest and model new configurations, materials, and modifications intended to improve the HAMR design.
- Student pursuing a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Experience with machine learning algorithms and optical simulations (COMSOL or other equivalent software).
- Experience with Linux and Windows computing environments.
- Experience with optimization methods is a plus.
- Introductory experience with programming languages (e.g. C++, Python, Java).
- Familiarity with MPI and high-performance computing.
- Good communication and teamwork skills are needed to collaborate with multiple organizations throughout the company.
Our Normandale campus spans two suburbs, Edina and Bloomington, and serves as the Recording Head development and manufacturing arm of Seagate. Located in the heart of a bustling community, Seagate offers an on-site café, or if you prefer, you can drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away. Need to grab a gift over lunch time? Shopping is abundant in the area. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, outdoor activities, tournaments and group workouts. Looking for something more laid back? Reset in one of our meditation rooms, or simply take a walk around our indoor walking path. On-site cultural festivals, celebrations and community volunteer opportunities also abound.
Other Important information:
United States Only - Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate's EEO Statement - Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.