William M. Lapenta NOAA Student Summer Internship
2023 The William M. Lapenta NOAA Student Internship Program
**Application will open on October 1, 2022**
In recognition of the many contributions of Dr. William (Bill) Lapenta to advance NOAA science and services and his dedication to training the next generation of scientists, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) established the William M. Lapenta Student Internship Program in 2019. The program builds on the highly successful National Weather Service (NWS) National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Internship which Bill created in 2017.
NOAA is offering paid summer internships targeted towards current 2nd and 3rd-year undergraduate and enrolled graduate students to work in areas that will provide robust research and/or operational experience that will prepare the student for further study in NOAA fields, for application to fellowships or for the NOAA-mission workforce. The program currently offers internship opportunities in the National Weather Service, (NWS), Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR), National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service (NESDIS), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Ocean Service (NOS), and Office of Marine and Aviation Operations (OMAO), allowing them to target the skills needed to fulfill their specific mission needs. Projects may be focused on research areas or the development of operational products such as decision support tools, climate and weather forecast models, data analysis methodologies, and social science strategies to communicate climate and weather information. Overall, students will focus on areas that will meet the future needs of NOAA’s ever-broadening user community and address strategic weather-water-climate issues.
The application period for the 2023 William M. Lapenta NOAA Student Internship Program period will be open from October 1, 2022 - January 5, 2023
- Application will open October 1, 2022. In the meantime, please see our website for more information at https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/lapenta-internship-program/home
- Register for an account at https://lapentainternship.smapply.io/
- Prepare the following to be uploaded to the site: A personal statement, Curriculum Vitae (CV), A transcript (unofficial is sufficient) from your institution
- Two letters of recommendation are required to be submitted on your behalf. At least one reference must be from a professor or academic advisor. The second reference may also be an academic reference or a character reference that can speak to your capabilities and interests as they relate to the internship. You are responsible for checking your application status online to ensure both letters have been submitted.
- If you have any questions about the application process please contact Todd Christenson at firstname.lastname@example.org