Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) Intern
Job Summary: The Cooper Standard Advanced Process Engineering Team in Northville, MI has an exciting chance for an Intern to provide support for their Summer 2022 Program. This position will provide you with an opportunity to understand and support Cooper Standard's engineering , testing, and processes. You will be responsible, with support from the CAE Engineering Team to become highly involved in material characterization and to understand CAE analysis of products using 2D/3D FEA to predict component functional performance utilizing software. If selected, you will team up with a Senior CAE Engineer to learn more about frequency sweeps and simulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist and perform 2D/3D FEA’s on existing and newly developed ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) and thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) components
- Learn to characterize materials and develop coefficient of friction numbers through testing
- Learn to derive finite element analysis (FEA) material models from test data to be used for analyses on dense and sponge EPDM and TPE components
- Develop working knowledge of business group operations and application methods
- Understand material characterization studies on new sponge and dense EPDM and TPE compounds
- Perform correlation verification studies by comparing predicted FEA analysis to parts made in the production process and make improvements to reduce variation between predicted FEA and actual parts
- Use existing procedures to solve standard problems
- Communicate FEA analysis results to CAE mentor
- Perform minor design modifications on previously analyzed sections to improve performance and to meet customer requirements
- Assist with smaller or less complex projects to ensure project objectives are completed
- Learn to build relationships with other functional areas
- Participate in program design reviews
- May, on occasion, be required to perform duties other than those specified in this description. Performs other related duties
- Must have met the credit requirements to achieve Senior level student status prior to May 2022, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science Engineering, with a focus on CAE, Polymer Engineering, or a related field
- Must have a minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Must be able to work from our Northville, MI location
- Strong verbal, written, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Must have good organizational skills
- Must have positive attitude and good work ethic
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools, including Word, Excel, Teams and Outlook.
- Strong knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Problem solving and decision making
- Problem identification
- Computer and electronics skills
- Ability to organize, plan, and complete multiple tasks
- Possess excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- CAD experience is a plus.
- Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills are a plus
- Professional Office Environment
- Must wear proper PPE while on manufacturing floor
- Travel to manufacturing facilities or customer locations when needed