Sensors Summer Internship
Are you motivated by opportunities to learn and grow? Do you want to collaborate with researchers, scientists and engineers in your field of study and apply your knowledge to projects that solve real problems? If so, then a summer internship at STR is the opportunity for you!
At STR, we recognize the importance of our employees to the company’s success. Our internship program is the ideal way for us to get to know you, and for you to try out STR as a workplace.
Join us this summer and we will help you do meaningful and challenging work in your specialty. You'll be paired with a mentor and collaborate with our staff on real solutions to hard problems related to national security.
The Sensors Division focuses on technology development for advanced sensor systems, particularly in the areas of airborne/surface-based radar, electronic warfare, underwater acoustics, hyperspectral imaging and EO/IR sensing. Within this role, we perform work at full system prototypes, experiment campaigns and technology component development. Particular development roles within the Sensors Division include RF analog/digital hardware, acoustic hardware, signal processing algorithms, machine learning algorithms, tracking/fusion, as well as real-time embedded processor implementation.
- Perform technical work within project teams, with mentorship from experienced staff
- Collaborate with leading experts to solve problems in fields such as: signal processing, image/video processing, machine learning, computer vision, statistical estimation, object tracking, optimization, control systems, ocean engineering/sonar, data analytics, cyber defense, sensor hardware development, and social media processing
- Participate in all project phases:
- Problem design
- Solution discovery
- Development of prototype algorithms and systems in software and/or hardware
- Experimentation and data analysis
- System implementation/integration for test and fielded systems
- Enrollment in a BS, MS or Ph.D degree program in a technical discipline such as electrical engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics, or related fields
- Strong academic record and interest in research
- Background/experience in one of the following areas: signal processing, image/video processing, machine learning, computer vision, computational hardware, RF hardware, software development, “big data” processing, scientific computing skills (MATLAB, python)
- Competitive pay
- Free housing
- Fun summer activities both inside and outside the office
Systems & Technology Research (STR) is a rapidly growing technology company with locations near Boston, MA, Arlington, VA and Dayton, OH. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
We're not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe!
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at email@example.com and provide your name, phone number and email address.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws